Get Campers CONNECTed to Nature!
Camps provide the the perfect opportunity for youth to truly CONNECT to their natural environment. With that in mind, the District has developed the CONNECT Catalog: Camp Edition. The Catalog highlights activities that encourage campers to get out and explore their campgrounds, while still channeling the true essence of camp – fun, teamwork, and creativity
We have brought CONNECT programming to schools throughout Southern Maine for more than a decade, and we’re excited to now offer programming catered toward Maine Camps! Through CONNECT activities, campers can explore the basics of water, get messy for clean water, or plan a service project for their community. Other highlights from this year’s Camp Catalog include:
- Summer Scientist Series – CONNECTing campers to the outdoors through a series of weekly or daily activities.
- Summer Scientist Series: Theater Edition – The perfect blend of the outdoors and theater! Campers draw inspiration from CONNECT sessions and work with our staff to write their own clean water play.
- Field Trips – A great way to give your campers an off site treat! We will work with you to plan and deliver an exciting outdoor adventure.
Activities are available for all ages and can be modified to fit each camp’s individual needs. Our CONNECT educators are happy to bring the activities right to your camp, or at a nearby outdoor location. If you or someone you know may be interested in CONNECT programming this summer and want to learn more, give us a call at 207-892-4700 or email CONNECT@cumberlandswcd.org.
Staff Training Available
Don’t have time for a guest educator but have an amazing staff who could deliver CONNECT programming for you? Our educators would be happy to set up a pre-camp workshop to get your staff ready to effectively deliver CONNECT activities. Our one-day staff workshops include:
- Introduction to environmental activities and why they matter
- Training on up to 3 specific activities or topics of your choice from the CONNECT catalog
- Brainstorming session led by our staff for your camp season
- Team-building activity
- A resource packet for all attendees to keep
Activity materials are also available for camp staff to borrow throughout the summer for a small fee. This includes water testing kits, stream life (macroinvertebrate) sampling materials, and lesson kits.